Published Scientific Papers
Diabetes, Insulin & ProInsulin Focused Research (16)
- Conlon JM, Hetherington CS, Alberti KGMM. Characterisation of the somatostatin-degrading activity of the cytosol and plasma-membrane fractions of rat liver. In: Kirschke H, Langner J, Wiederanders B, Bohley P eds. Proteinases in Mammalian Tissues and Cells Halle-Wittenburg: Kongress and Tag unsverichte der Martin Luther Universitat 1982: 159-161.
- Taylor R, Hetherington CS, Tolley S, Dodson G. Biological activity of despentapeptide insulin in human and rat adipocytes and hepatocytes. Diabetologia 1984; 27/2.
- Taylor R, Heaton A, Hetherington CS, Alberti KGMM. Effect of continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis on invivo and invitro insulin sensitivity. Clinical Science 1985; 69, 12.
- Taylor R, Heaton A, Hetherington CS, Alberti KGMM. Adipcyte insulin binding and insulin action in chronic renal failure before and during continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis. Metabolic clinical and experimental 1986; 35/5, 430-435.
- Taylor R. Hetherington CS, Gill GV, Alberti KGMM. Changes in tissue insulin sensitivity in previously brittle diabetics. Hormone and metabolic research 1986;18/7, 493.
- Hawthorn GC, Bartlett K, Hetherington CS, Alberti KGMM. Polyol pathway and myoinositol metabolism in endothelial cells acutely exposed to high glucose levels. Diabetologia 1988; 31,7.
- Walter JH, Thompson GN, Leonard JV, Hetherington CS, Bartlett K. Measurement of propionate turnover in vivo using sodium [2H5] propionate and sodium [13C] propionate. Clinica Chimica Acta 1989; 182, 141-150.
- Hawthorn GC, Bartlett K, Hetherington CS, Alberti KGMM. The effect of high glucose on polyol pathway activity and myoinositol metabolism in cultured human endothelial cells. Diabetologia 1989; 32, 163-166.
- Taylor R, Hetherington CS, Tolley S. Receptor binding and biological potency of despentapeptide insulin. Hormone and metabolic research 1989; 21, 249-252.
- Davis SN, Ansiferov M, Hetherington CS, Brown M, Branch WJ, Hales CN, Orskov H, Alberti KGMM. The effects of human proinsulin on glucose turnover and intermediary metabolism in insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism 1992; 75/5, 1282-1288.
- Davis SN, Monti L, Piatti PM, Brown M, Hetherington CS, Orskov H, Sobey W, Hales CN, Alberti KGMM. Dose response characteristics of human proinsulin and insulin in non-insulin dependent diabetic humans. American Journal of physiology 1992; 263/1, 28-35.
- Davis SN, Monti L, Piatti PM, Ansiferov M, Hetherington CS, Brown M, Orskov H, Branch W, Hales CN, Alberti KGMM. Assessment of proinsulin’s effects on intermediary metabolism using the forearm technique in normal man. Diabetologia 1993; 30, 29-35.
- Davis SN; Piatti PM; Monti L; Brown M; Hetherington C; Antsiferov M; Sobey W; Hales CN; Orskov H; Alberti KG. (Feb 1993). The effects of subcutaneous human proinsulin on the production of 64/65 split proinsulin, glucose turnover and intermediary metabolism in non-insulin-dependent diabetic man. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 19:103-113
- Dyer RG; Hetherington CS; Alberti KG; Laker MF. (06 Jan 1995). Simultaneous measurement of phytosterols (campesterol and beta-sitosterol) and 7-ketocholesterol in human lipoproteins by capillary column gas chromatography. J Chromatogr B Biomed Appl. 663:1-7.
- Berrish TS; Hetherington CS; Alberti KG; Walker M. (Jun 1995). Peripheral and hepatic insulin sensitivity in subjects with impaired glucose tolerance. Diabetologia. 38:699-704.
- Reaich R, Graham KA, Channon SM, Hetherington CS, Scrimgeour CM, Wilkinson R, Goodship THJ. Correction of acidosis in chronic renal failure improves insulin mediated glucose utilisation but not insulin mediated changes in protein degredation. (in Press).
Plant Biology & Nutrition (3)
- Griffiths H, Broadmeadow MSJ, Borland AM, Hetherington CS. Short-term changes in carbon-isotope discrimination identify transitions between C3 and C4 carboxylation during Crassulacean acid metabolism. Planta 1990; 181, 604-610.
- Lilley JH, Beakes GW, Hetherington CS. Characterization of Aphanomyces invadans isolates using pyrolysis mass spectrometry (PyMS). 1. Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling, Scotland, 2 Department of Biological & Nutritional Science, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, England, and 3 Biomedical Mass Spectrometry Unit, Medical School, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, UK. Mycoses. 2001 Nov;44(9-10):383-9.
- Griffiths H, Broadmeadow MSJ, Borland AM, Hetherington CS. Regulation of the Rubisco Activity in CAM Plants: Better Later than Never. Funct. Plant Biol. 2002;29:689-696.
Microbiology, Bacteriology Focused Research (2)
- Freeman R, Sissons PR, Ward AC, Magee JG, Hetherington CS, Lightfoot NF. Isolates of Mycobacterium avium-intercellulare from patients with and without AIDS compared by pyrolysis mass spectrometry. Letts Appl Microbiol 1993; 1/6, 94-96.
- Ward AC, Freeman R, Sissons PR, Hetherington CS. Phenotypic variation as a significant within strain factor in PyMS-based comparisons of bacteria. J Anal Appi Pyrol (in Press).
Experimental Instrumentation (2)
- Hetherington CS, Kier M, Stappenbeck Raymond, Simm Alistair, Brigham LL, Skillen Andrew W, Hodson Alan W. Computer acquisition and analysis of data in enzymatic fluorimetric continuous flow methods for the measurement of glucose, lactate, pyruvate, alanine, glycerol and 3-hydroxybutyrate in human blood. Journal of automatic chemistry 1986; 8/2, 49-55.
- Freeman R, Sissons PR, Hetherington CS. Practical Protocols for Pyrolysis Mass Spectrometry. In; Methods in Molecular Biology. Modern Bacteriological Techniques. Humana (in press).
Cancer Focused Research Contributions (1)
- Daley SE, Pearson ADJ, Craft AW, Kernahan J, Wyllie RA, Price L, Hetherington CS, Bartlet K. Whole body protein metabolism in children with cancer, (submitted).
This is probably a truncated list, there are probably another 5 or so and I also have my name on a few book chapters too. If any old colleagues have wandered into the Clive zone here and know of any papers I have missed drop me a line with the information – I would appreciate it.